history
History of Saint Paul

History of Significant Events 1940 - 2015

1940

Central Methodist Church Pastor Eben Taylor envisions a new Methodist Church.  World War II and the pastor’s untimely death halt planning.

1947

Central Methodist Church Pastor R. Wright Spears continues the plan but discontinued due to a lack of interest by those on the east side of Florence.

1948

Rev. Spears secures the services of C.J. Lupo, seminary student at Emory University, to organize a mission church on the western edge of Florence.  July 4 the first meeting held at the National Guard Armory on West Evans Street.  August 29 the official organizational meeting was held, a    charter signed, and the church named St. Paul Methodist. There were 89 Charter Members and   18 Preparatory Members.  King Scoggins continued the organizational work started by Mr. Lupo. Locations also used for Worship Services were McKenzie School and the VFW Hut. November 8 a lot at 1629 West Palmetto St. was purchased for $8,000. $75,000 was borrowed for building purposes. November 10 Joel Cannon is the first appointed minister by the Methodist Conference. A former District Parsonage at 314 West Palmetto Street loaned as the parsonage.

1950

July 16 groundbreaking of the Educational Building at a cost of $45,000.

1951

February, the building is occupied with Worship Services held on the second floor and a Nursery on the first floor.

1952

Debt on Educational Building retired.  Fellowship Hall built.  Loan  of $110,000 to build the Sanctuary.

1953

January 25 construction begins on Sanctuary. Open air Vesper Services 6:30 PM each Sunday in front of construction on a raised platform built by the contractor.

1954

Carlisle S. Floyd appointed Minister.  Sanctuary completed and occupied

1957

Parsonage is built at 609 Plum Drive at a cost of $25,000 (1965 assessment)

1958

J. Ross Johnson appointed Minister.

1959

Children’s Building completed at a cost of $30,000 (1965 assessment)

1961

Harry M. Goewey appointed Minister.

1962

A three rank  pipe organ installed.         

1965

Church membership 707,

1966

Ernest M. Heape appointed Minister.

1971

Carl L. Parker appointed Minister.

1972

Stained glass windows and five pulpit chairs were donated by members as memorials

1975

Carl N. Harris appointed Minister

1981

October 5-26 15 Rank Pipe Organ with 905 pipes purchased from Schantz Organ Company Orrville, Ohio at a cost of $59,988.00. 

1985

Julian H. Lazar appointed Minister

1988

July 4 celebrating 40 years of Ministry ground was broken for the Family Life Center.

1989

FLC completed at a cost of $496,000.  Hurricane Hugo damaged Sanctuary roof and steeple.

1990

Sanctuary roof and steeple repairs completed.  Donations of a cross to place on the steeple and a street facing brick sign identifying St. Paul UMC with the Methodist symbol Cross and Flame.

1992

 Boy Scout Troop 476 awarded by SC Conference of The UMC “Bishop’s Award of Excellence”. CSX “Shanty Car” donated to scouts.

1993

 July 1 new parsonage purchased at 1723 Malden Ave. $165,000.  Membership 1050. Robert J. Bob Howell Jr. appointed Minister.

1995

 Fellowship Hall renovated and renamed Youth Activities Center.

1997

dedication service September 9.

1998

July 5 a week of 5Oth Birthday Celebration with Bishop J. Lawrence McCleskey giving the sermon. Christian Walter Memorial Playground dedicated. Steven D. Morgan appointed Minister.

1999

 July minister exchange with Keith and Heather Rushton  of England.  Parsonage mortgage retired. Prayer Room/Bridal Room designated and furnished.  Mother’s Morning Out program begins.

2000      

First UMVIM teams sent to Dominican Republic and African University, Zimbabwe

2001

 John Gerald (Jerry) Pickens appointed Minister.

2002

”Hearts and Hands” a 4 part building program for a two story child care center, youth center and SS Classes.  Mother’s Morning Out expands.  First mission team sent to The Red Bird Mission, Beverly Kentucky and yearly since (2015).

2004

 UMVIM team to Ocean Springs, Mississippi Hurricane Katrina relief 5 trips through 2006.

2006

March 12 ground breaking for $2.3 million Child Development and Christian Education Center. G. Dane Morehead appointed Minister 2007  June 10 combined worship services for a Consecration Service for Child Development and Christian Education  with District Superintendent Janice L. Fredrick-Watts giving the sermon.

2010

Pulpit exchange for the month of  October between Rev. Morehead and former member Rev. Will  Grady serving the pulpits at Wilpshire and Mellor Methodists Churches in the Blackburn Circuit Lancashire England. On his last Sunday Rev. Morehead was presented with a glass goblet (used for  Holy Communion by John  Wesley who preached and held Society Meetings in that area about 1783) from the Yorkshire Museum by retired Methodist ministers who wanted the goblet to come to USA.Sunday morning Praise and Worship Services begins in FLC.

2013

February 23 at a 10:30 AM combined Worship Service the Presentation of the John Wesley Communion Chalice for Consecration to the glory of Almighty God and for service in St. Paul UMC by Rev. Morehead and a visiting Rev. Will Grady to the membership of St. Paul UMC. December 24 Christmas Eve Holy Communion Service John Wesley Chalice used.

2014

Maurice E. Nason Jr. appointed Minister

2015

Pastor Debra Armstrong appointed Minister

 

 

 

Empowered by Extend, a church software solution from